Questionnaire from Waltham Resident Dan Berlin
- Why are you running to be a City Council member?
I’ve dedicated my career to working in public service because I believe in helping others and improving our community. There are many important issues facing our city: funding and constructing a new high school, creating more affordable housing, constructing new fire and police stations, improving traffic, overseeing Fernald reuse and preserving the Waltham Field Station Farm, to name a few. My community involvement, education and state and local government experience make me uniquely qualified to help tackle these issues.
- What is your current day job?
I am the state representative for the 9th Middlesex district, serving the people of Waltham and Lincoln. I serve on the following committees on the state level: House Ways & Means, Financial Services, Municipalities & Regional Government (Vice-Chair) and House Post Audit & Oversight.
- For how long have you been a Waltham resident?
- In which Waltham organizations have you been active in the past?
Waltham Boys & Girls Club, Waltham Youth Basketball Association, Basketball Plus Program, Central Middle School Basketball, Little Nippers Baseball, Warrendale Little League, Waltham Youth Soccer, Waltham Police Athletic League, CCD Teacher, St. Jude Church, Waltham Lions Club, Waltham Rotary Club, Reagle Players Board of Directors, Warrendale Little League Board of Directors, Waltham Partnership for Youth Board of Directors, Waltham Day Center (Homeless) Advisors Board, Waltham Family School Advisory Board, regular guest & advocate of the Waltham Creative Head Start Program, Waltham Safe & Healthy Schools YRBS Steering Committee, Reach Beyond Domestic Violence Advisory Board, Waltham Public Library Planning Committee, Waltham Sons of Italy, Middlesex Area Enough Abuse Campaign.
Community Awards/Recognitions :
- WCI – Human Service Advocate of the Year
- COFAR – award recipient for support of people with mental disabilities
- WATCH CDC – Housing Advocate Award
- Minuteman Senior Services – Certificate of Appreciation
- Boston Bar Assoc., Greater Boston Legal Services and MetroWest Legal Services – Pillar of Justice Award
- Shining Star Award (Edinburg Center)
- Community Health Center Leader Award (The Massachusetts League of Community Health Centers)
- What is the most pressing issue in Waltham and what is your plan to address it?
Ending a divisive two-year struggle within our community, I filed the successful motion to take the Stigmatine property by eminent domain for the purpose of building a new state-of the-art high school and preventing a massive private housing development along the Lexington Street corridor. Now it is time to ensure proper funding and timely construction for this critical project. In my dual role as a state and local elected official, I will fight to secure state and local funding as well as assist in the navigation of future issues that may arise as the project moves forward.
- If elected, how do you plan on engaging with your constituents?
I will continue to use a variety of methods to be visible and engaged with the public, including: social media, electronic newsletters, email, snail mail, phone, door-knocking, coffee meetings, attending events, volunteering and serving on non-profit boards.
- What is your favorite Lizzy’s ice cream flavor?
Coffee Ice Cream w/ Reese Peanut Butter Cups toppings.